Wednesday 4 February 2009

Vaginal Keyhole Surgery

Photobucket

Okay. So apparently now that we're in the age of technology it's important to realise the potential of such advances in technology. Surgeons have found a new way to remove kidney's from potential donor's. Through their vagina. This is not a joke. The only advantage I can see is it is cosmetically sound ie; you will have no scars.

Dr. Robert Montgomery, chief of transplant surgery at Johns Hopkins, said, 'the kidney was successfully removed and transplanted into the donor's niece, and both patients are doing fine. Removing the kidney through a natural opening should hasten the patients recovery and provide a better cosmetic result. We want to make it easier for people to donate, to have less impact on their lives, [be] in hospital a shorter amount of time and get back to their lives quicker.'

'Hi, Aunt Kimberely? Hi. Remember that kidney you had taken out of your body with a tube with a bag attached to it via your vaginal passage? Well thanks, it's really done the job, I guess I owe you big'. Is it just me or is all this really a bit weird? I mean, surgery in general kinda freaks me out for the most past and I know this is for the good of the recipient but it just sounds so grim. The fact that the vagina is doused with Betazine, a sterilizing solvent 'to ensure a more sterile procedure', is making me less comfortable with the knowledge that maybe sometime in the future maybe they will find a way of removing my damaged organs through my Jap's eye.

No comments: