Thursday 29 October 2009

Agassi Smokes Meth

Yep. You heard it right. Andre Agassi smoked crystal meth. Albeit when his career was on somewhat of a nosedive (apparently) back in 97. I guess he is proof (in this instance)that drugs do not fuck up your life/career etc. as meth is one of the most addictive drugs available and he went on to resurrect his career and leave Brooke Shields for Steffi Graf/Nike for adidas. Wait, he fucked up there huh. Remind me never to smoke a bag of meth.

Anyways, in his new autobiography he recalls taking the drug at his house with his assistant 'Slim'...

...Slim is stressed too … He says, You want to get high with me? On what? Gack. What the hell's gack? Crystal meth. Why do they call it gack? Because that's the sound you make when you're high… Make you feel like Superman, dude. As if they're coming out of someone else's mouth, I hear these words: You know what? Fuck it. Yeah. Let's get high. Slim dumps a small pile of powder on the coffee table. He cuts it, snorts it. He cuts it again. I snort some. I ease back on the couch and consider the Rubicon I've just crossed. There is a moment of regret, followed by vast sadness. Then comes a tidal wave of euphoria that sweeps away every negative thought in my head. I've never felt so alive, so hopeful – and I've never felt such energy. I'm seized by a desperate desire to clean. I go tearing around my house, cleaning it from top to bottom. I dust the furniture. I scour the tub. I make the beds...
Powerful stuff I am sure you will agree. I can remember the first time I did speed in like 95 and hoovering maniacally at like 4am much to the amusement of my more seasoned drug-taking buddies. The next day my head hurt a bunch and I watched The Goonies. I still haven't really done it properly since.

Judging by his attire in the early 90s I don't think meth in 97 was his first taste of illegal substances. I can remember him being told he was gonna be excluded from Wimbledon for wearing black. They have since made it a white-garment-only fag sport. He always kinda appealed to me as a fledgling metaller as he looked a bit like a wannabe Anthrax member or something and nothing like Jim Courier.

He had the illest signature shoes (the Air Tech Challenge series) in the late 80s/early 90s, aside from you-know-who in my opinion, the fourth of the series being my favourite (gotta love that psychedelic marbled heel counter). They went a bit wayward after that one (no, I didn't like the Huarache model) for me. Let's hope Nike get to reissuing that properly soon, I sold my originals a few years back...






More killer Agassi/Nike ad's here.

No comments: