Wednesday 6 October 2010

Only Death Is Real...

Celtic Frost – A Dying God (2008) Adrian Winkler (Switzerland)

Okay, so for my first post on here (thanks again to Sean for the invite), I bring you a documentary about legendary Swiss black metallers, Celtic Frost. This was actually aired on Swiss TV almost two years ago now, but I only recently unearthed it.

Directed by Swiss journalist and documentary filmmaker Adrian Winkler, Celtic Frost – A Dying God follows Celtic Frost on their farewell Monotheist tour, between 06 and 07, across Europe, Japan (with a nice cameo from the Gallhammer girls), the US, and various festivals. This was actually aired on Swiss TV almost two years ago now, but I only recently unearthed it.

I will be the first to admit I am not a big documentary fan, however, this is excellent stuff. It chronicles the history of the band, from their early days as Hellhammer, right up to their hair metal phase in the mid-90s (their most extreme of all phases, ha!). Tom G. Warrior and Martin Eric Ain speak frankly about their relationship, and their almost constant fall-outs, their beginnings, and why they have a problem with Hellhammer. Basically, if you love either Hellhammer or Celtic Frost, this is for you. If you don’t, consider this a lesson in the roots of black metal…

DOWNLOAD





It is in German, with English subtitles, for the most part. However, it is in English pretty much throughout the sections in the US. This is actually a repost of my first entry for the excellent RockersNYC Blog, incidentally.

7 comments:

Todd said...

I could never find this thing with English subtitles; fucking awesome.

Mari said...

Thanks so much!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm getting a message that the file is unavailable?
I'd love to check this thing out though, thanks for your time.

how I met your mother dvd said...

thanks for it!

Repugnant Maniac said...

Thanks you so much for this post!

harry lime said...

only saw snippets of it and never could get hold of the entire thing - awesome thanks alot for this

harry lime said...

yes! benn looking foe ages for this one thanks so much !